Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I Will Survive, But I Can't Guarantee The Rest Of The World

Today has been a shitty day. I got a letter from our local taxing authority telling me I didn't pay enough local tax and that I owed them money plus penalties etc.

I growled and grumbled. Then after that I looked at the letter.

My total tax liability was $62.14. I paid them $62.40. They are charging me penalties and interest on an overpayment?

Isn't it lovely how our tax authorities know their math? I overpaid them 26 cents! Tomorrow I have to call them and tell them that I don't owe them anything. They actually owe me. I wonder if they'd give me interest on that 26 cents. I think not.

When we were allowed to pay our local taxes yearly at our own tax offices in our own towns, mistakes weren't made. 2004 was the first year that we had to pay our taxes to this new municpal service. Apparently they hire morons or have software that doesn't know what a minus sign means.

I'm really looking forward to talking to someone there tomorrow.

I'm so mad I could spit.

0 comments: