Sunday, February 26, 2006

New Wave = Love

My lovely friend Jennifer (who really needs to call me soon) sent me some DVDs a year ago and erm....well, I finally got around to watching some of them yesterday.

That alone is proof positive of how little I watch my telly or use my DVD player. But anyway, there were two New Wave DVDs full of all kinds of Video goodness.

It was fantastic to see some of the videos and in other cases it was scary. The 80's were an odd time for fashion, but then again so were the 70's. The 60's however had the best fashion, but that's beside the point.

This brought back so many memories since one of the first videos I watched was for Feargal Sharkey's A Good Heart. Lordy, but I used to love that song. All the music is cheesy, but it's fun and the videos for most of the songs were so cheaply made.

It's a shame everything now is so overproduced and so like mini-movies. There's nothing fun about watching a video, if you can even find a station that plays them anymore.

Heck, even the early Duran Duran videos look cheap compared to more recent offerings.

But you know what? I don't care. I like the cheesy stuff. What's even better is the expensively made cheesy stuff. I never realized until yesterday that the video for Arcadia's Election Day was so bad. (But so good) Back in the day, I thought it was gothic and cutting edge. I guess it was in the mid-80's. Oye! I feel so old now, but I'm very amused.

0 comments: