Saturday, May 03, 2003

Music Ramblings

I've fallen in love with a 60's band right now, the Moody Blues. It all started with a video, back in the 80's. The song was called "Your Wildest Dreams." I've posted about this song on my LiveJournal recently, but I didn't think I'd really be getting into their music other than to get the CD The Other Side of Life which that song was on. More Fool Me.

I've been downloading some of their music and reading the band bios, so I'm ready to dive right in. I haven't decided if Justin Hayward, the lead singer of the Moody Blues should be elevated to concubine status, but I do elevate him to one of the best songwriters and singers. In which case, I think you should click on this link and learn a bit more about this lovely band. He was such a cutie in his younger days. While I'm doing the whole link thing, here's a link to Justin's Official Site.

The next artist I've been finding myself listening to recently is Joe Jackson. Quite an odd ugly fellow, but he has a phenomenal voice. I found a live mp3 of him doing Eleanor Rigby. I was quite impressed by that. As you know, there are certain bands that i can't stand to see covered, because the covers are done so badly. The Beatles are one such band. I have to say I can only think of a few people that have covered Beatles tunes admirably, in my eyes.

Cheap Trick - Day Tripper
Elvis Costello - You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Rufus Wainwright - Across the Universe (I know Linds will be pleased that I've included him)
Boingo - I Am the Walrus

Notice I didn't include one skanky howenches cover of And I Love Her. PAH! I dreamt last night that I was trying to convince him to change his mind about that engagement thing...It's so nice to dream of kissing away....the evil wenchling from hell! But I digress....

Back to Joe Jackson, who is typically New Wave, but his voice is so good..and very soothing. I'm particuliarly fond of the song Breaking Us In Two. Anyway, the Joe Jackson site is quite good. It's worthy of a click I think.

0 comments: