Friday, April 25, 2003

My CD Swap Trials and Tribulations

I'm working on the songs I want to put on the cd, and it's kinda hard. Mostly because I want this mix to be different. I also don't want to end up with a completely 80's mix of songs, because people other than myself are going to be listening to it. I want it to be different, but still reflect my taste and the music I love.

Oh the trauma.

I can warn you to expect Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Duran Duran and possibly Oingo Boingo and Erasure on this cd. I find that life is not complete without these bands. The only problem I'm having is finding more current music that I like to put on this cd. When I say current, I mean artists that haven't been around for 20 years already. Which is not to say I don't like any current music, but I do find alot of it lacking. I've kinda developed a tolerance for Anastacia and Shakira, but I don't know if I'd want to drive to them.

I think in the long run the driving music will come from the decades of the 70s and 80's with a smattering of 90's. There's a Sarah McLaughlin song I'm trying to recall that I'd like to put on the disc. I used to love her music until she became the Lilith Queen, then everything became overplayed and boring. This could get me started on my Paula Cole gripe. She actually had some good songs..but the worst one got overplayed. "Where did all the Cowboys Go?" They ran screaming after they heard this song! I loved the other song released from that album though..I Don't Want to Wait..and I liked Me too. ARGH!

I think my thought process has been peaked...I might have some ideas now. I would love to do a driving mix of Costello stuff though, cos I can think of at least 5 or more songs of his that I adore singing at the top of my lungs..Particularly Cait's harmony vocal in Crimes of Paris..

I'm mental, we've established that.

To leave you..my Costello Lyric of the Day...complete with Cait's harmony...

~You're not the girl next-door or a girl from France
Or the cigarette-girl in the sizzle hot-pants
All the words of love seem cruel and crass
When you're tough and transparent as armoured glass
You're everywhere girl in an everyday mess
Who'll pay for the Crimes of Paris

0 comments: