Friday, March 21, 2008

Top 5 On Friday - Week 167

From Music Memoirs:

Top 5 Cover Songs or Covers Albums

OK, let's see what I can come up with here...

Dolly Parton - Drives Me Crazy
This is the song done by The Fine Young Cannibals in the 80s. When I first heard her version I didn't recognize it. I was truly amused by it, because I never cared for the song at all, now I'm amused by it. Dolly also did a lovely version of Tracks of My Tears and Crimson & Clover which she performed with Tommy James. I can upload either if you like.

Diana Krall - Almost Blue
Absolutely gorgeous cover of her hubby's song.

Fountains Of Wayne - Baby One More Time
How do you make a song Britney sings good? Let someone else cover it. Fun Fun Fun.

Elvis Costello - Please Stay
This is a gorgeous cover of the Bacharach and David song. It's proof that Elvis can and will sing anything. Another favorite of mine is his cover of The Beatles You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.

Over The Rhine - Ruby Tuesday

I love this version. Actually I love most all songs by this band.

edit: My favorite 5 covers albums

Erasure - Other People's Songs
From Peter Gabriel to the Cockney Rebels and everything in between, however the best cover on this album is Everyday originally by Buddy Holly.


Elvis Costello - Kojak Variety
Elvis covers The Kinks, Bacharach and David and Dylan among others! This is one album, especially the Rhino remaster, that's not to be missed.


Dolly Parton - Those Were The Days
Dolly does her versions of some of the greatest songs of the 60's and 70's and makes them her own. A very unique version of Imagine appears on this album.


The Smithereens - Meet The Smithereens
A cover of every song on Meet The Beatles in the exact order and done superbly. Everyone should own this.


I'm sad to admit this but:

Barry Manillow - The Greatest Songs Of The Seventies
These are the songs of his decade, and yes, he redid Mandy for this album, but you only have to hear him do It Never Rains In Southern California, to know that he may be goofy, scary and a bit of everything in between, but he is a damn good voice in the world of adult contemporary schlep. And he's a damn site more tolerable than Clay Aiken!!!

0 comments: