Monday, March 03, 2008

Sweeney Todd: About Damn Time

Yesterday I went to see Sweeney Todd after 2.5 months of trying. I'm probably the only one that has seen it that just went, meh! after watching it.

Yup, I really didn't feel any great love for Sweeney Todd. I'm not sure why. I think if I had seen it at Christmas before the winter depression hit, I might have liked it a bit better, but right now I can't take stuff that's depressing, and that movie had the market cornered on depressing.

The acting was great though. I was really surprised at how well Johnny Depp could sing, and so could Helena Bonham Carter, who I don't particularly care for. I almost liked her in this movie.

The use of red paint as blood truly amused me too. It certainly took some of the gore factor out and added humor, and I have to say some of the horror of this movie/musical did make me laugh because of the pure ridiculousness of it.

I don't know what it was, but this was the first Burton movie that I can't say I really liked. It's probably a good thing that I only paid 99 cents to see it. Another thing to add to my list of why I should have just stayed home yesterday.

~sigh~

I wonder if I would have liked Enchanted or August Rush, both of which were playing there, that were on my list of must see movies before Christmas? Nah! I'm not going to chance things. I'll just rent the DVD or catch them on Pay Per View or something.

0 comments: