Monday, March 17, 2008

The Book Guinea Pig Reads Again

My friend Karen has once again foisted off one of her book club selections on me. This time the choice is one I think I can recommend to at least some of my readers. The book is Snow Flower & The Secret Fan by Lisa See.



I've only just started reading but I can already tell its a book that I'll enjoy. It tells the tale of a 19th century Chinese girl and her pairing with a laotong, or "old same," as well as the language of ne shu, which was created by Chinese women to communicate away from the influence of men.

It's an easy read so far and I'm learning a lot about the culture of China. It's not that often that I find a book from my friend's reading group that is enjoyable. Most of the time I tease her, telling her that she never reads anything enjoyable. Actually she doesn't, I do. However I get movies and dinners/lunches out of the deal so it's worth it. This time, I think I'd gladly just read the book.

0 comments: