Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Rant Of The Day

Gas prices are skyrocketing and I can only say one thing, it's our own damn fault. I may have been a wee bitty babe in the late 70's but I remember odd and even gas rationing. I also remember what was the result of that rationing (though it wasn't true rationing); Economy cars.

Do any of you even know what an economy car is?

It's a small car, not a big gas horfing SUV. Smaller vehicles use less gas. Go to any of the automakers websites and see which cars get the best mpg. I can guarantee you that they aren't the big ones.

The cars prior to the 70's were boats and guess what? They've returned to boats again. Because really we're greedy pigs in this country. I admit to being a greedy pig at times. I accept that. However as a single person, I know I don't need a vehicle that gets 10 miles to the gallon.

It appalls me that people are still buying these things. I can see the need for a family car if you have kids. I can see the need for a mini van too, but there is no need for some of the SUV's out there, especially the HUMMER! Uh come on people! It just contributes to the problem.

Around 10 years ago, I was paying 89 cents a gallon for gas. Yes, you read that right, 89 cents. What have we done in 10 years? Bought more SUVs, elected a moron with financial stake in the oil market whose mommy gets a big fat dividend check from the big oil companies. Oye! And I feel for the Europeans who have been feeling these prices for years and send us no sympathy either. And let me tell you, I don't think there are many people across the pond driving Hummers!

GRRRRR.

I'm sick of sitting home because I can't afford gas, dammit!

0 comments: