Saturday, March 12, 2005

Beatles Covers!

At the request of Brian, I've finally come up with a decent mix of Beatles cover tunes. I can't say this mix is one of my favorites or that I had fun making it. I can say it's given me a headache!

The mix is called A Crime Against Nature. If you click on the mix title, you'll go to the page with the track list of the final mix. It runs about 68 minutes, which is probably the shortest mix I've ever done. I usually like them to fill an 80 minute CDR.

This time, no way.

I've listened to more Beatles covers in the past few months than I ever wanted to.

I hate most of them. They are to me, a crime against nature. I do think that the 18 tracks that I chose are pretty close to the cream of the crop, though I did toss 2 or three oddities on there, for spice. The oddities being covers that I'll never listen to again, but aren't bad, more that they are a different take on the originals.

Moody Mistress, expect an email with Diana Krall's And I Love Him. I feel like torturing my friends!

Best cover on the mix? Props to Joe Jackson for his live version of Eleanor Rigby...which is gorgeous.

Worst cover on the mix? Fiona Apple's cover of Across the Universe. I just don't like Fiona, so to me that one grates on my nerves. But since she's well liked amongst the musical elite, I included that one.

Most ecclectic cover? Whitesnake's Day Tripper. You've got to hear it to believe it.

Prettiest? Justin Hayward's cover of Blackbird. (I've heard more covers of Blackbird than I ever wanted to...and IMO, Justin's is as good as the original)

So submitted for your approval, Brian, A Crime Against Nature!

0 comments: