Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Miss Tay asks a Musical Question

I saw this topic on Tay's alter-blog, and decided that I should answer it too.

How often do you buy CDs? What pushes you the extra mile to go buy the CD as opposed to just burning it from someone?

Looking around my room I see a sea of CDs. Try saying that 5 times fast. Ha! I dare you.

Miss Tay has rules for buying CDs..the Music Whore does not. If the Music Whore had those, she would surely not be the Music Whore. The Music Whore buys CDs when the urge hits her...or on any given new release Tuesday..when something special hits the shelves.

I will admit to not buying as many CDs recently as I used to. It has nothing to do with downloading music either. There's not been a lot of great new music lately. At least not what the Music Whore wants to listen too.

Most of my purchases are bands and artists that I'm obsessed with. I will buy every single CD a band puts out, if I love them enough. So curses to Duran Duran, Erasure, Depeche Mode,Nick Lowe, Tanita Tikaram, Madonna, Sarah Brightman, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sting, David Bowie, Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello (especially when I hate hate hate NORTH), and the Moody Blues (I had to stop somewhere, this list was getting way too long).

I will buy a CD from an artist I've not heard much from. It was song snippets that made be buy Caroline Lavelle's Spirit CD. I've never regretted it once. But very seldom will I buy something that I've only heard a song from. (Unless it's in a bargain bin)

As for where I purchase my CDs, BestBuy and Half.com are my two favorite stores. Best Buy is the cheapest place for CDs...online or in the store. Half.com is great for out of print or hard to find discs. I've got some great CDs there for low low prices. (Can you say Moody Blues Live at the Red Rocks Deluxe Edition for 10.98!)

For the most part, I don't burn CDs from someone. I have had some from kind souls that copied discs for me until I could purchase them. (And I do purchase them) To them I say a big THANK YOU!

Steph has I rule that I adhere to as well in regards to downloading. If you like it enough to download all of it, BUY IT!

The only time I'll download a whole album and not buy it, is when I can't. (meaning the album is out of print) I still don't have Annie Haslam's It Snows In Heaven Too. I want this CD so badly and I can find it nowhere; not half.com or a host of other used CD sites.

So for me to go that extra mile (more like a baby step) it has to be a band I really love or really want to acquire to my collection. (The Damned are not included in this..because dammit, I want Damned CDs..I just can't find em cheap enough)

So if you haven't guessed it, there isn't much that will stop me from buying a CD, except lack of funds

0 comments: