Thursday, September 25, 2003

Three for Thursday

Three for Thursday

I found this over at Christine's blog, and had to take part, it being a music survey and all. I'm in such a happy mood today, making the mix cds for the Quintessential Burn and starting my Halloween Mix (w/potential swap)

Anyway...here's the survey

3 for Thursday (#47):

1. What are 3 songs from your "growing up" years that you hear on the radio now and have to crank it. Songs that really get you rockin'.

Roxette - The Look: A complete kick ass dance song without any techno beats. I fell in love with the song the first time I heard it. It's catchy, it's dancable and it's fun to sing while driving. I still try to get everything they put out.

Culture Club - Karma Chameleon: I so loved everything that Boy George recorded in the 80's. While most girls were tripping on Michael Jackson and Duran Duran, I was Tumbling for Boy George. What a silly girl I was. I wanted make up tips damn it!

Elvis Costello - Veronica: This was the song that got me into his music. Actually it was probably, You Want Her Too from McCartney's Flowers in the Dirt CD. Anyway this was the song that made me buy Spike..and without Spike I never would have had this obsession with the Speccied Singer. Thus an obsession is born...

2. What are 3 songs that bring back really great memories.

Oingo Boingo - Skin: My first date with my red headed demon Dan from high school. He was a total wanker, but he introduced me to Danny Elfman's music and for that I'm eternally grateful

Elvis Costello - Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got a Hold on Me (Medley): Oct 19, 2002 AJ Palumbo Center Pittsburgh, PA. I'm the only one standing and dancing to this song at his concert...and Elvis gives a nod in my direction.

Phantom of the Opera: This was the music of my senior year of high school. I was in love with Michael Crawford and wanted desperately to be Christine to his Erik. This is still hands down one of Lloyd Webber's best musicals.

3. What are 3 of your favorite bands/singers from your growing up years?

The Monkees - Yes I'm only 29, but I grew up watching the reruns on one of our old tv stations and then MTV. The Monkees will always be a part of me. A campy funny part of TV and music history. I'm glad I watched.

The Beatles - Couldn't like the Monkees without loving the Fab Four. I stole my brother's copy of Beatles 65 because of my obsession with the song I'll Follow the Sun.

Madonna - I'll mirror one of Christine's answers. I've loved Madonna since Borderline. I own every CD she's ever done and for the most part I like them all. I admire her style and ability to take control of her destiny. I think if there is a true diva out there, she's it.

4. What are 3 of your favorite bands/singers now?

The Moody Blues - I've been trying to get into this band for 17 years. I finally succeeded this May in doing so. I fell in love with a video back in 86 and never really bothered to hear more. This year I heard Tuesday Afternoon from Days of Future Passed, and from then on, I was in love. They are a very mature, relaxed sound, not for everyone, but I find them pleasing to my ears

Elvis Costello - This man rocks! Well not right now, he's too busy being sappy and disgustingly in love with Krallomort, but I'm hoping he goes back to himself soon. I can't say much about this man other than you either love him or you hate him, and I love him

Erasure - Feel good music. Music that will bring a smile to your face and a skip to your step. Have been in love with them since my friend Tina handed me Wonderland in 92. Andy Bell has one of the best voices in music today.

Bonus: What was the best concert you ever went to? Tell us about it.

Oct 19, 2002 - Elvis Costello....Three words to sum up the event... I Met Elvis