Saturday, September 20, 2003

Tell Me Why

As some of you may know, I've started the re-writes again on Man Out of Time. It's got me to thinking how nice life would be if life could be like a romance novel. As I think of the plot of Man Out of Time, I think I was trying to write something much in that vein.

After all the plot is this: A romance writer is suddenly faced with her own sensuality when she's asked to visit her best friend in England when his marriage collapses. Here she finds herself becoming strongly attached to not just her best friend but two of his other friends as well.

Of course chaos ensues as well as some very tricky situations for all envolved.

I think my life needs some of that kind of excitement. I wonder where I could find a friend with a collapsing marriage. No, I think that's the part I could do without.


But back to my original discussion. Why is it that in every romance novel a twentysomething female, ususally of a middle to lower income finds love with a much wealthier male, who doesn't care one whit about their income differences. I'm sorry a rich male isn't going to pay any attention to a poor secretary. Nope not in my life, someone else's yes, mine no.

Do you know who'll pay attention to me? The stock boy at the grocery store. You know the 30 year old who's still making minimum wage, he's the guy who'll find me devestatingly attractive.

Yes that sounds mercenary, I know, but in a crap economy, I'd like to have a romance that has some money flowing around to be spent on me. Cos in all my life, no man has ever bothered to buy me anything with the exception of roses, and we all know what that means. Yup, he's done something wrong.

Rant ended, anyone who wants to read the current rewrites on Man Out of Time, you know how to get in touch with me.

0 comments: