Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bernie The Beretta: A Eulogy

I wanted to say a few things about Bernie, because everyone who visits only heard me gripe about her for the last 2 or 3 years.

Bernie came to me at a bad time. My Grand Am had just breathed its last and I was unemployed. Bernie was all I could afford and I only paid $1500 for her. I've had her for just a little over 6 years. Here's the post introducing her to the world.

She came to me with 65,000 miles on her and she leaves me with 93,331. She wasn't a bad car so much as she was a car that should have had more car before I got her. She was literally dry rotting.

I always joked that she would be running and it would just be the seat the steering column and a dune buggy-like frame. Well, she left me, still running. So for that I'm thankful. I'd like to know that she wasn't completely a goner when I traded her.

She served me well in 6 years. Though I didn't let her go much farther than Pittsburgh.

May she rest in peace in the auto graveyard, or may she find someone that can piece her back together again so that she may find a new home.

I did love you Bernie. You were a good ride. Farewell.

1 comments:

Deirdre said...

I get sentimentally attached to my cars. It's very hard to let them go but soon enough, I develop an appreciation for a more reliable car and keep happy memories of parting with my last on "good" terms.

The car before my Challenger was a Toyota Celica and I had it 8 years. I loved that car. I would probably still have it had someone not rear ended me!

Boo to them. But as it turns out, my car was then mended enough to be drive-able and resold to a family member of a friend.

I hope she is taking as good care of it as I did. I miss it sometimes. It was small but roomy and great on gas mileage.