Tuesday, May 04, 2010

A Laughable Workout

I bought a copy of All You Magazine the other day, for the day of Dad's surgery so I'm not bored out of my mind, but as usual I leafed through it ahead of time.

There was an article on walking to lose weight, so I checked that out. I wanted to see if they were going to tell me I was walking wrong or something equally ridiculous. I was right.

Some fitness trainer has come up with several moves to do on your 30 minute workout so that you'll burn 220 calories in a half hour, you know, besides...walking like a normal human being.

1. Carioca: Turning sideways with your left side facing the way you are headed you bend at the knees and kinda do a cross step for 30 seconds and then switch sides. Uh, you're supposed to do this IN PUBLIC!!!!

2. Lateral Shuffle: You don't even want to know.

3. Skipping: Pretty self explanatory, righ?

4. Lateral skipping: ARGH!

If I'm going to get out and walk, its going to be in a public place, there's no walking path in my back yard where I can do this without being seen (and pointed and laughed at). I really think fitness instructors should come up with programs that make sense, and seriously skipping sideways down Meadow Aven, doesn't make much sense, unless I want to end up on the 2nd floor of the hospital in a jacket that makes me hug myself ALL THE DAMN TIME!

1 comments:

Deirdre said...

I think these types of workouts work best if you're with a group of people doing it... that way, you're not the only one who looks silly.

On another note... I read an article about how to burn calories faster than just steady walking so that's what I do now. Intervals.

Have you given that a go yet? I'll try to remember to bring the article with me tomorrow (it's pretty short) and email you the details.

It just involves walking/jogging/sprinting. Simple enough. :)