Sunday, May 09, 2010

One Of The Mysteries Of The Universe

Why is it that finding a reasonably priced bookshelf is so damn impossible. If you want one that is cheap it means one thing: Assembly.

I'm not all that good with instructions and or nails, hammers or screwdrivers. I'm not a mechanical girl. I suck at that stuff.

So I go to Value City, because that's where I got the couch and chair but those are way too expensive and would require them to be delivered and that's a bit complicated in my household.

This presents a problem, because I need storage for my books. The first bookshelf I bought when I was in college is not doing to well and I really don't want my house filled with Itso cubes from Target.

There has to be something I can use that looks decent and will get the books put away. I realize I could stop buying books, but that isn't going to happen. Just like I'm not likely going to stop buying music, so I need to find a happy medium here.

Walmart has some easily assembled shelves, but they really aren't good for books. They are more for modern looking knickknacks.

So basically I'm at square one here. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

Mike said...

Send me a plane ticket. I love putting that stuff together.

Molly Bandit said...

What I use for most of my storage are those plastic shelves mostly meant for workshops and garages. They're not pretty, but they take maybe five minutes to put together. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-904-Four-Shelf-Shelving/dp/B001D17YPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273424284&sr=8-2

Another option that's not as cheap might be storage cubes. You can arrange them into a shelf-looking unit. http://www.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-8644-9-Cube-Organizer-White/dp/B000ETOG6G/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273424378&sr=1-15

Milk crates are the college student's version of storage cubes. I've made some decent bookshelves, dressers, and even a make-shift closet out of them.

Janelle said...

I think I found my shelves in Lowe's or something like that. I thought they were pretty easy to put together, but then again I'm slightly mechanically-minded. I'm handier around the house than my dad & brother are.

They're these small wooden things, & I got two & stacked them. They served their purpose excellently for a while but they're getting crowded now...I'd be better off moving out.