Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gordon Lightfoot @ The Harv


I was rather worried about last night's show at the Harv. The venue had huge signs all over saying no cameras, but that wasn't the case. Within minutes of Mr. Lightfoot taking stage, flashes were everywhere, but taking pictures has little to do with the wonderfulness of the evening.

Gord opened with Cotton Jenny and went on to play so many wonderful songs incluging the obvious hits Sundown, Carefree Highway, The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald and Beautiful. He also plucked out lesser known beauties like Ribbon Of Darkness, Triangle and my personal favorite, Hangdog Hotel Room.

Gordon has been through many health ordeals in the last 6 years so I expected a less than stellar vocal performance, but I didn't receive one. For a man that spent 6 weeks in a coma and survived a mini-stroke, his voice is still more than good. Sure the deep rich voice of the 70s is not the same, but its still lovely and very enjoyable.

He as a ornery grin and tells his share of really bad jokes, which make the evening even more enjoyable. A more animated performer, I've yet to see and I've seen many artists of every age. I would put him on the top of my favorite concerts list, the only way the show could've been better would have been by the inclusion of Race Among The Ruins, which is my favorite Lightfoot song.

Like most performers he made a blunder on a lyric and the face he made was so amusing, proof that the legend is also very human.

God Bless Gord for the wonderful gift of music that he can still share with the masses. He's on performer that I'd see again.

0 comments: