Sunday, June 22, 2008

Country Music?

Malcolm mentioned that he didn't know I liked country music. Actually it's kinda new to me as well. I don't like all country, in fact the country artists I like are more country ladies.

I love Carlene Carter, Dolly Parton, Martina McBride and Terri Clark. I can't think of many male country singers that I could listen to a whole album of, well besides Jimmy Buffett and he's not totally country, he's a little bit everything from reggae to rock to country. Does Nick Lowe count? Because his countrified albums are wonderful and so are Elvis Costello's. But I'm sorry those Brits doing country don't quite get it. It barely works for those Canadians, but they manage. Lightfoot actually does it better than most.

I don't like country when it gets too twangy or goes too much down the bluegrass path, unless its Dolly walking down that path. The Moody Bluegrass covers album was the worst thing I ever heard in my life. It make me want to run to the bathroom to toss my cookies and anything else I could toss.

I'm also not too into that crossover pop that Faith Hill did, though she is a lovely singer and I enjoy some of her stuff and as for Shania Twain? ACK! She's too much of a Diva and too little of a real artist for me.

My musical recommendation for the day, for any of you that want to try something a little bit country and a perhaps a little bit rock n' roll



Carlene Carter's I Fell In Love or if you want something new try Stronger, you won't regret it.

0 comments: