Monday, April 28, 2008

Remembering Grandma

In the last three days I've discovered hundreds of photos of my grandmother from her younger days. One day I'll share them, when I've had time to scan them and upload them to flickr.

My grandmother kept every card that was ever sent to her. There were and are boxes and boxes of birthday and Christmas and Valentine's day cards. I found pictures galore which filled me with great glee.

Grandma never shared these pictures with us and they left me with so many questions that I would love to have answers too. There are pictures of her on the beach in OH in the late 20's/early 30's.

And the photos revealed her spunky nature and the beautiful heart that she had. My grandmother had the most beautiful smile and a special twinkle to her eyes that I'll never forget.

To know her was to love her and if she loved you she would do anything for you. She was a wonderful woman who saw so much in her lifetime, more than most people can see; countless presidents, two world wars, many conflicts, the depression. She is the last one of her family to pass, there is only a sister-in-law left from her siblings and she was the oldest.

101 years is a long time, but not long enough. It's never long enough. I'm just glad that I told her I love you nearly every day and that she knew that.

This is a photo of a kind and gentle soul with a heart of 14 Karat Gold.



Grandma, I miss you. I love you. My heart is in two, knowing that I'll never laugh with you, wash clothes with you, do you shopping or take you to your meetings. I'll never hear you call yoo hoo again. I'll never hug or kiss you. I'll never lift you off the couch into a hug when I bring you your mail.

So little time spent, but so much love. I have no more words other than, I was in non way ready for goodbye.

0 comments: