Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Bands Reunited

I finally remembered to watch something on the telly yesterday. Bands Reunited was on Vh-1 at 10pm last night. I'm actually glad I turned it on. The band in question was Berlin. Anyone remember these new wavers besides me?

It was kinda interesting to see what happened to these guys after the hoopla died down. (Hoopla..at least I'm not knee deep in it)

It makes you wonder what it must be like after everything dies down and you have to go back to leading normal lives. Terri Nunn is the only one that doesn't look like normal was ever part of her vocabulary. She still sports the same two toned hair that she wore in the 80's. I have to say, age has been kind to her, kinder than it has been to Debbie Harry.

It was nice to see the band perform on stage too, but I think Vh-1 could have devoted more time to the performance. After all, this is really what I want to see. What 4 middle aged former rockers did with their lives isn't really on my agenda. I want to hear the band play! They did show the vast majority of The Metro and No More Words, but that didn't really satisfy me. I really think there was more that could have been devoted to that, but then again, they only had an hour. It's a shame as usual Vh-1 devotes more time to the "show" and less time to the "music." Guess we all know what's important there.

Over the next 2 weeks, they are going to reunite Kajagoogoo, Romeo Void and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. (More than that..but those are just the ones I'm anxious to see)

Now why can't they try to reunite Oingo Boingo! LOL! Can you see them knocking on Danny Elfman's door. (hahaha trying to get through the gate more like it) Please please reunite the old band for a one off on Vh-1. Only imagine the expletives that would come out of his mouth!!

I think it would be great if Vh-1 picked up on the more interesting band that's reunited: Duran Duran. I've been hunting all over and I still don't see that they've been signed to a label yet. (There first new song by the fab five will be on the Queer Eye soundtrack) Only imagine how huge things would become for them. They are selling out venues in minutes these days. Unbelievable considering their last major hit was 10 years ago with Come Undone, which hit the number 2 spot on the charts.

The sad thing is..there are so many notable bands that are still together and recording great albums that Vh-1 neglects. (Psychedelic Furs..even OMD was still doing album into the late 90s..oh and the Pet Shop Boys)

It's not all Top 40, someday Mtv will remember it's origins..and radio will follow suit.

I also dream a lot.

0 comments: