Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Sky Is Falling!

I like nice uneventful days for the most part, unless the eventfulness revolves around people like The Moody Blues, Elvis Costello, Duran Duran...etc.

Yesterday seemed to be one of those nice uneventful days. I blogged, worked on my novel, read a bit, went to work. That's where the eventfulness started.

Long about 5 o'clock we got hit with a mondo storm. A thunderstorm from hell, if you will. The skies darkened and the clouds exploded. It poured for almost an hour. Needless to say, there weren't many people coming in.

I mean, would you want to go out when the sky was pouring down buckets of rain and being generally evil?

So I was sitting at the desk, minding my own damn business, and then I looked up. Drip Drip Drip! The damn roof was leaking! In at least 4 places!!!

Enter panic!

I'm running around, stealing garbage cans from various parts of the club. In hopes of catching the water and not getting any of the equipment damaged. (Imagine me pushing about 6 machines around)

But wait it got worse. I'd put in about 2 calls to my boss as we watched the ceiling tiles start to swell.

Shit!

They kept on swelling, because the rain was still coming down in buckets.

I was standing there with my sister staring up at the ceiling in amazement, when the first tile gave way and more water than I wanted to see came spilling onto the floor.

I screamed!

Oddly it was a sound rather than the word fuck, which should have come out of my mouth, especially since every tile on that side of the building was leaking.

I had almost all the garbage cans in use.

Then the second tile exploded, releasing more water.

The floor was soaked.

My sister and I moved all the equipment into a very tight impromptu circuit, which no one was going to use.

Thankfully the owner showed up around 6 to work on the problem of the leaks from hell, and assured me that we would be open today. I imagine they had a lot of work to do. I'm also really glad I'm not going to have to lose 4 hours of work. I only hope it doesn't rain tonight, because I don't want to deal with that again, and I doubt they will have fixed the leaking problem overnight.

0 comments: