Sunday, October 08, 2006

Everyone's Getting Into The Act

I think everyone in the recording industry must put out at least one Christmas song or Christmas album in their careers. Some like Chicago put out more than one, but I don't think either of their albums is worth mentioning, and I kinda like Chicago.

Until 2003 I wasn't a big fan of Christmas music. Hated it, if the truth be told but The Moody Blues changed all of that.



December is truly a beautiful seasonal album, with just enough Christmas and just enough winter tunes to make it worth buying. Of course it has the Christmas staples of Happy Xmas (War Is Over) which I hate with a passion, as well as White Christmas, but it also has new gems like Don't Need A Reindeer and The Spirit Of Christmas. I dare you not to love the cheesy sweet Don't Need A Reindeer. It's Hayward at his candystore best.

Well this year is already turning out to be interesting for the holiday. Two of my favorite adult alternative female artists are putting out holiday CDs.

First up is Aimee Mann, formerly of Til Tuesday with One More Drifter In The Snow



She's not one I'd really think of for putting out a Christmas album, which is why I'm probably going to buy this one. The cover is interesting too.

But the one I just heard about and am really excited about is Sarah McLachlan's Wintersong.



The fans are being really critical of this album, but I've heard River, the Joni Mitchell cover and I'm sure she hasn't rerecorded Song For A Winter's Night, so I know that one is stunning, so it has to be lovely.

Oh and for those of you that missed out when Hallmark released it a few years back, James Taylor's Christmas CD is finally going to get a regular release!



The cover is adorable. I think if he showed up on my doorstep like this I'd let him in, especially if that box had something glittery and shiny inside.

0 comments: