Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Night of Guilty Pleasures

I have a very cheesy gothic romance novel sitting beside me on my desk and I'm hunting down some of the cheesiest music I can think of, namely Olivia Newton John. I think every little girl in the early 80's wanted to be her. I know I did. I longed to be the character she played in the film Xanadu. I'm pretty sure her name was Keira.

When Physical came out, I wore the headbands and leg warmers along with countless others, even though the song had nothing to do with working out. Listening to it now, it's pretty damn ridiculous, but I still like it.

Even more than I like that song was one called The Rumour from an album she did in either the late 80's or early 90's of the same name. The song was written by Elton John and Bernie Taupin, and it was probably one of her better songs.

So tonight I'm going to curl up under the covers with my cheesy novel and listen to cheesy music and do you know what? I'm going to be happy. Why? Because sometimes it's the simple things and the not so deep things that keep me amused.

0 comments: