Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Our Neighbors Dogs

Our neighbors have 3 sharpeis, you know those big wrinkly dogs? Well, they've now learned how to jump over the fence to come visit us and they do it with regularity.

In the middle of the night, the male dog, Bear, was barking at our front door to be let in. He's apparently not stupid and knows that we love animals. Plus he wants to play. All the time. He's about 100 lbs of playful dog.

This wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have our own dog, who only weighs about 15 lbs. Not that the neighbors dog is mean. There's not a nasty bone in his body, but our little mutt likes to pick fights. He was always trying to pick a fight with Purrbee when he was alive and I think he was lucky that Purrbee didn't kick his butt.

I don't want to get the dogs in trouble either, because I love the wrinkly little buggers. They can't help it if they don't want to be around people that aren't paying them any attention.

Which brings me to my rant; if you don't have the time to spend keeping your dog amused and contented, you have no business having a dog. Dogs need people. If you want a fairly low maintainance pet, get a cat. Cats only need people to feed them and clean up after them. I know this, I have cats. I also have dogs. So I think I can safely note the differences in the species.

I feel sorry for these sharpeis, they are very playful and loving animals and they just want that in return.

2 comments:

Mike said...

There are some dogs that are low maintanance but you have to know the difference. Frisky dogs need frisky owners.

Janelle said...

My personal favorite is seeing a dog chained to a dog house in the snow, rain, or cold. That clearly wants to be inside.