Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Best Picture?

You know there is one thing that really annoys me about the Oscars and that so many of the films involved aren't seen by the general public.

They were talking about Hurt Locker and the fact that more people watched the Oscars than that movie.

Now I'm not saying that it isn't deserving of awards, but when it comes awards like Best Picture, I think the amount of people that actually saw the movie should be taken into consideration.

Also I would love for a comedy to get nominated and win Best Picture. Surely someone can write such a thing.

Yes, its wonderful that a woman finally won for best director, yay! But there are so many other things in Hollyweird that need to change. I think I would have been more excited if Up! would have won best picture, now that would have been an Oscar upset.

That said, I seldom see the movies that are up for that particular award, because they are too snooty. I go to the movies for escapism and stuff like Hurt Locker won't do it for me.

4 comments:

Malcolm said...

I wish that the members of the Academy would get over themselves and award a Best Picture Oscar to a comedy. There have been several over the years that have been worthy.

In regards to your comments about Hurt Locker and Kathryn Bigelow winning Oscars, the following clip might interest you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6VffOANTZc

Mike said...

But movies like Hurt Locker ARE feel good movies for guys. We get to see things get blown up!!!!!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Another typical example of what the critics like weigh heavier than 99% of the public.

Molly Bandit said...

I hate to play Devil's Advocate, but the reason they're the Academy Awards is because it's the opinion of the Academy. The general public's opinion doesn't matter beans to them because they're more concerned with how the movie or actor impacts the industry. Plus, there's already an award that rewards the popular movie - the People's Choice Award. And with that one, you get Twilight as best pic instead of the Hurt Locker.

But I definitely agree that comedies are getting the shaft from the Academy. The last one to win Best Picture was Shakespeare in Love? (1) That's a comedy? (2) That was 1998. (3) You know the comedy that won before that? Annie Hall. IN 1977.