Monday, March 22, 2010

Missing Mondays

Since I got the freelance job reviewing music I find that I actually miss enjoying music.

Why is that?

Because I end up spending hours listening to one particular CD that I may or may not love or care about and then I have to write about it, at least 500 words if not more.

It really has sapped my love for music in recent months and that's not to say I haven't received any great CDs. I have adored the music by Shady Cats.

I don't feel like I get the chance to really sit down anymore and enjoy something just for the sake of listening to something and that's really not fun at all. It is also something I really never thought I'd say. I'm just not enjoying music as much as I used to. That's criminal if you ask me.

I want to enjoy music again!

3 comments:

Mike said...

If you get a bad CD, listen to one song at a time with other good songs inbetween.

Deirdre said...

I got this way when people started asking me to photograph weddings, birthday parties, etc.

We become so consumed with the work aspect of it, that we don't get to relax and "enjoy" our time doing it.

So, I quit working for pay with my hobbies. I will still photograph or paint on my own accord and if people want to enjoy the fruit of that labor, it's a lot more meaningful than if they contracted me to do it in the first place.

I guess I'm not really offering any advice in telling you this... I just want you to know that I know exactly what you mean.

rashbre said...

Its slightly cheating, I know, but sometimes if I get a CD that I don't find so good, I might speed listen to it. Sort of 20/30 seconds a track. If its good, I can still listen to the whole thing. If not, I have enough to get an impression.

Its probably cheating, but might help a little with reviewing onerous tracks.

A good recent one for me has been the new Laura Marling, by the way (just finished being a free stream on timesonline)