Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Missing Monday (on Tuesday)

In the last week I've really been missing "the people and things that went before." If I wasn't shedding tears for gram, I was crying over Mutchka or Purrbee or Itchy or Coco. I miss all of them dreadfully.

I know in the next 30 days I'll be missing grandma more as the anniversary of her death approaches.

For as long as I live I don't think I'll ever be able to forget coming into her dark house and calling out for her. Then rushing up to the top of the steps to find her lying on the floor, already gone.

The fear still shakes me. I can even hear my own screams echoing.

I was so afraid. I was scared to touch her and she was my grandma, but that knowledge of death kept me from doing it, as if death were contagious. I remember clinging to my mother, and crying..."she's gone."

I felt so powerless.

That was probably the most life changing event I ever experienced. I would give anything to change April 26, 2008. The worst day of my life.

Gram..I miss you.

2 comments:

Deirdre said...

I'm sorry. :(

Anonymous said...

Andrea - I know exactly how it feels to lose a wonderful grandma and I tear up whenever you speak of yours. I would have been with my precious "mama" the day she died if it wasn't for a bank glitch that I had to take care of. I normally spent lunch hours with her while she was in the hospital. She passed away during that lunch hour time that I would have spent with her. It's been almost 28 years and I miss her so much the pain is still palpable. Just know there are plenty of others out there who share your sense of loss -- Diane