Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Going Overboard

Did you know that to be a lector, eucaristic minister, or usher in the Catholic Church you now have to have a background check and go to a "Safe Enviornment" meeting?

Uh.

Erm.

I was a lector since I was confirmed when I was in 10th grade. For a time I was also a eucharistic minister. I won't be anymore because I think the church is getting ridiculous.

I can understand this type of meeting for people working directly with children. CCD instructors, the man that trains the alter servers (yes, there is one), choir directors, but the other 3 groups do not have much if any contact with children. The ushers are out in the church for crying out loud!

Eucharistic Ministers come into the sacristy before mass starts to ready the hosts and the wine. (hahahahahaha...sorry in our parish getting them to do this is somewhat difficult) As a lector I go to the sacristy after I drop off my coat in a pew. Usually about 15 minutes before mass. Usually our servers wander in 5 minutes before mass starts or on several occassions as mass is starting.

I know this is a Diocese thing...and possibly a whole Catholic Church thing, but its getting ridiculous. I have no problem with them doing a background check on me. Go for it, but it seems pointless. This whole thing has left me disillusioned. And I'm not thrilled with the leaders of the church right now to start with. Note I said leaders. I have no problew with God or my religion...except right now I don't think I could set foot in that building without feeling great anger for the people that are running it.

I can understand the need to protect our children, don't get me wrong. I just feel this is taking things a bit to far and its wasting my time.

0 comments: