Thursday, October 22, 2009

Celebrity Infatuation

We live in a time when celebrities are treated almost like Gods. Sometimes it really baffles me. Not that I haven't gone goofy over my share, because I have.

But why?

Most of these people are just like you and me, only they have a talent and some money.

Some of them aren't even all that nice.

I've been fortunate, I've met some of the nice ones; Elvis Costello, Peter Noone, Gary Puckett, just about all of the Whose Line Cast, Gordon Lightfoot, those Moody guys...

But why do we go all stupid over them? Especially when you meet them to find they're drunk. At least nice drunk as opposed to nasty drunk. But it really makes me wonder. We have such high expectations of these people and really they are only doing a job. Plus we poke our nose into every corner of their lives, including who they eat, drink and sleep with. Tis a pity.

Give me the money and stick the fame where the sun doesn't shine. I don't want half the world's nose butting into my business. I have enough with my own family. I almost feel sorry for some of them. Not all of them mind you, some of them ask to be harassed.

That's not to say I won't turn into a blithering looney the next time I encounter a celebrity, but it does make you wonder, why we give them special treatment when they aren't much different from us, except in the bank book.

0 comments: