Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Change Is A Comin'

My youngest nephew is off to college today and I'm feeling blue. He was born when I was a senior in high school and right now I'm feeling old.

Like my other nephew, Raymond, we've become close. I've taken him on trips and outings and whatnot, and it just makes me feel sad to know he's all grown up and leaving the nest of his family.

I can only wish him luck on his journey through high education and hope that he does well and when he finishes, finds a good job doing something he enjoys doing, which is more than I can say for myself.

I'm glad his school is close by, so that he can come home when the mood strikes him, while still giving him the independence he needs.

Still, I feel like an old lady who hasn't accomplished much with my life in 36 years. I guess that's what change does to people..it makes you question your life and decisions.

This will take some getting used to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm 42 and I realized I saw things differently when I called a 25 year old a "kid". I wasn't the kid anymore.

Mike said...

"who hasn't accomplished much"

Your job is to make it to the end which for you is a long way off.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Never think that you haven't accomplished much

Bilbo said...

I can't say it better than Emily, Mike, and Jean-Luc have. Your perspective will always continue to change, and you should NEVER think you haven't accomplished much. Compared to many others (including all 435 members of Congress), you have accomplished a great deal. And your friends love you. So there.

vw: dedat - located right next to dedis.