Thursday, August 05, 2010

Manners, Nobody Has Them Anymore

Have you ever been out with someone, friend, relative or otherwise and they spent more time looking for a text from someone than anything else?

I find that highly annoying. It makes me wonder why the person is spending time with me, when they obviously would rather be somewhere else.

It is one of the things that really makes me aggravated and it shows a huge lack of manners. Is it so hard to be polite to the person you are with?

It is like the old high school thing where a friend ditches their other friends in favor of a boyfriend or girlfriend. I've had two friends do that to me, one I'm still good friends with and the other not so much, even though I considered them one of my best friends in high school. She did want me to be in her wedding but I declined as she hadn't spoken to me in over a year, when she decided to get married.

Why do people behave this way?

I've seen this friend a few times in recent years and she's made overtures to renew our friendship, but I just can't do it. There's no way we'd have anything in common now. She's been married for 12 years and has 3 children, and I have an allergy to kids.

I think that's one of the reason's I'll never go to a class reunion.  I know I'm one of the few unmarried classmembers and I don't think I'd have anything in common with anyone from the Class of 92. That and I have a huge revulsion for anything to do with my high school. The school makes me itch more than kids!

But back to manners. The other thing that bugs me is how we've totally stripped away communication. No one talks anymore. If I take my nephews somewhere, even somewhere only minutes from home, they carry iPods, gaming devices and phones. They can't carry on a conversation with the people in the car with them! I hate driving alone, but going somewhere with my nephews is just as bad.

Anyone else have anything to add?

2 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I know what you mean. Many prefer to look at the box in their hand rather than talk to the face in front of them.

Bilbo said...

When I went to my first bloggers' happy hour last November, there were eight of us at the table. Seven spent at least half their time sending and receiving text messages. I didn't do it because I didn't know how to send text messages on my high-tech phone. Oh, and also because it was rude.