Thursday, July 22, 2010

Missing Mondays on...erm..Thursday

My mom and I were talking about restaurants the other day. Hmmm, and I wonder why my waistline is always EXPANDING! We got to talking about things that have changed in a lot of restaurants and that's how we got to talking about salad bars.

I think every fast food chain had a salad bar in the 80s.

Wendy's had a crazy awesome salad bar. Burger King had one too, and you could either make a salad on a plate or in a pita!

Please say that someone remembers this?

Then there was Rax. Oh how I miss Rax Roast Beef and their salad bar with the best cream of broccoli soup.

~sigh~

I think those salad bars prompted places like Ponderosa to expand their salad bars to the gi-normous food bars they have now.

Do you know what?

I liked the small salad bar that we had in our local Ponderosa when I was little. I also liked when you walked cafeteria style to get your meal there and at the similar York Steak House and they handed you a little black bowl of salad greens with your choice of salad dressing.

Everything is so much bigger now, but I'm not sure that its so much better. Something has to suffer for our gluttony. I guess its our waistlines and quality. What do you think?

4 comments:

Bilbo said...

The whole issue of huge portions and all-you-can-eat places is a big deal now that we're turning into an overweight nation. Agnes and I try to eat a lot of meat and salad as a way to keep our waistlines under control, but even that gets to be a losing proposition when you're pushing 60. Sigh.

Mike said...

I remember all the salad bars. I remember the sneeze shields that didn't always work. And the problems with not so fresh ingredients that prompted the end of salad bars in fast food places.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I don't think too many go in for salad bars here.

Molly Bandit said...

WENDY'S SALAD BAR!!! Aw man, I miss that! I loved their noodles and marinara sauce! You know, there's a Wendy's that still has its salad bar semi-close to Morgantown.