Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Doctor Who Ramblings

I've been reading a few of the BBC Doctor Who books, so I still have The Doctor on my mind.

There's one thing from this series that bugs me and it is about my favorite character, Rory. Oh yes, Rory, I would kidnap you and keep you as my very own given the chance, but that's not the point.

In The Eleventh Hour, we find out that Rory is a nurse. This is kind of odd as most of the companions in the new series are LOSERS! Take a look at the occupations of most of the companions, Martha Jones aside. Even Amy is a big Loser. It is just a shame that no one could create another strong female companion like Sarah Jane.

But I wasn't talking about them, I was talking about Rory. He seems so second class in some of the episodes, like he's brainless and I don't know about how nursing is in the UK, but you can't be a dumb bunny and be a nurse in the US.

I'm just glad that the series ended with them married, because I think that might make sure the companions aren't always humping the Doctor's leg.

Also, we are left pondering Riversong. I wonder if the writers ever paid attention to the first series. The doctor was a GRANDDAD in that series. So yeah, he had to be married.

Doctor Who canon can be so confusing sometimes.

2 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I think Dr Who as a grandfather was one of those anomilies in the past that the makers have swept under the carpet.

River Song is the strongest female character in the series for as long as I know.

rashbre said...

I like all the twists and turns and the ways that the series can play with time in its own narrative.