Friday, February 26, 2010

What A Bunch Of Whiners

Bilbo was discussing the Killer Whale attack at Sea World, and I've got a rant building so I might as well let my rage out.

OK, yes, Its a "Killer Whale" we've established that. Apparently he's not a happy whale like Shamu. Remember Shamu is a "Killer Whale" too and is part of the history of "Sea World".

The horrible thing about this incident is that people had to witness it. Much like when the white tiger attacked in Vegas during the Siegfried and Roy performance. That makes this attack all the more "Newsy."

Yes, these are wild animals. Yes, they can attack. We don't know how they think and they don't know how we think. That's really a given.

We don't know how any animal really thinks. Hence asshats claiming that animals aren't capable of feelings or understanding. That my friends is bullshit.

Now I'm not defending the animal, completely. What he did wasn't particularly nice, but there is probably more to this attack then we are being told and the media is just taking the ball and running with it. We don't know what prompted the whale to grab her pony tail and pull her down. However from what most people have said, the creature was aggitated before the attack.

I would like to remind some people that one of the people this whale attacked fell into his pool after the park closed. Again a wild animal finds a stranger in his habitat and feels threatened. To me that's natural behavior. The attack prior to that one was similar, someone fell into the tank. Only there were 2 other whales invovled.

So now there are people up in arms that none of these animals should be in captivity because of there size and their capablity of killing people. That's true, they shouldn't be. However, you've taken these animals out of that environment and they can't go back to it successfully. And don't even tell me that Tilikum should be put down because that's just as ignorant.

Also if you are going to say that animals like that shouldn't be in capitivity you also have to close down the zoos and aquariums. Most of the animals you find there have the same capabilities to attack. No killer whales, no elephants, no lions or tigers or bears, OH MY! I didn't hear a massive outcry to all the zoos a few years back to keep tigers out of zoos because they might be crafty enough to escape and kill someone.

None of these animals are in their natural enviornment. Occassionally something like this is going to happen. Truth be told, I feel bad for the whale. Its horrible about what happened. I feel for the trainer's family, but I also feel bad for the whale.

ARGH!

That's about all I can say is ARGH!

12 comments:

sage said...

well written and good thoughts about a tragic event

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Good rant, ma'am, a good rant! Agreed.

Mike said...

You mean the press didn't report ALL the facts about the previous attacks? Go figure!

Wv: ingth - All the way at the end.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I think this whale is getting a really bad rap. The two previous attacks involved people ending up in the tank with the whale where they clearing shouldn't have been. The first one involved 2 other whales. The second was a man that somehow got into the tank after hours.

Seems to me the whales were protecting turf in those attacks.

Janelle said...

There are few things I hate more than people getting mad at an animal for, essentially, being an animal. In any case.

If the media wanted to do its job right, they'd be asking a few more questions. I realize someone died & that's very tragic, but few animals attack just 'cause.

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

I couldn't agree with you more!! Have they not thought there's a reason these animals are called, "Killer Whales"!! Gimme a break!!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Andrea. I, too, feel badly for the Tilikum. I don't like seeing wild animals in captivity as well. Sadly, I don't think this incident is going to change anything.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I really don't think that the animal being in captivity really is the cause of this.

Research says that "Killer Whales" usually do not attack humans. Which makes you pose the question, what was done to make Tilikum do this. In the first cases someone was in the whale's pool that should not have been there. Perhaps he thought...Mmm tasty treat?

This last one is different.

I don't know how Sea World treats the animals they have...if they are overworked etc. But I'm pretty sure most of the whales these parks have are born and raised there, so they couldn't survive on their own. I really think there's more to this story then we are being told and I feel the animal is getting a bad rap. I also don't find anything too terrible about Sea World.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Killer whales aren't meant to be there.

Molly Bandit said...

I love how outraged people seem to be over this... "OMG, an animal killed something!" Um, duh?

I mean, they aren't called killer whales because they're bitchin' cool... it's because they kill shit.

I also have to wonder what's being left out of the story.

Deirdre said...

I think all animals should return to their natural habitats. Zoos, Aquariums, circuses, rodeos, etc. should all be shut down.

If I had it my way, that's how it would be.

People are jerks. Animals don't ask to be put in these situations. For crying out loud, leave them alone for a change.

Deirdre said...

Ps. Animals have natural instincts... I think if they were let go, they'd be fine.

Also, if the concern is that they can't be returned to their natural environments, fine, raise them and nurture them but stop breeding more of them in the meantime!

JIMHO