Friday, February 05, 2010

Top 5 On Friday: Week


Top 5 songs you think it should be illegal for anyone to cover.


You guys know the drill. Play along in the comments or in your journal. This meme is created for my site Music Memoirs. Feel free to go there and check out my other weekly memes and play along.

1. The Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin: Please people. Leave this song alone. If you are a bluegrass band, DEFINITELY leave this song alone. We all know I have a love/hate thing with Nights, but I hate to see a song needlessly slaughtered.

2. The Beatles: EVERYTHING! Do not touch this bands catalog. I'm not saying there aren't some really stellar covers, but for every one good one, there are usually about 40 really really bad ones. Best to just nip this in the bud now. If its a Beatles song, don't TOUCH IT!

3. Oingo Boingo - We Close Our Eyes: Ok, here's the story. My mom was watching a strange movie the other night called Sleepover and there was a horrid pop/punk band playing...they did one song and it was ok. The second song was We Close Our Eyes. By the end, I was ready to throw our TV set out the window. There is now another reason why I can't stand the pop/punk genre.

4. Elvis Costello: I want to put an EVERYTHING here, but I don't wish to offend Nick Lowe who has covered Indoor Fireworks so beautifully, but then I think of Duran Duran brutalizing Watching The Dectective and I get really angry. So please, think twice before covering anything this man has recorded.

5. Diana Krall - Narrow Daylight: I'm hoping there are no aspiring songbirds out there that want to cover this song, that was written by Diana and her hubby Mr. Costello. This song is pure Diana, and no one else should ever touch it.

0 comments: