Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Weighing In On The Late Night Wars

First, let me say, I don't really watch any of the late night talk shows unless there is a performer on that I really like. Or Jay Leno's doing Headlines.

Yeah. I like Leno. But that's not what I came here to rant about.

3 guys that have had TV jobs for years. One network that's screwed them all. None of them are all that funny and a fourth that just has too much to say.

But what gets me are the Coco freakazoids and Coco himself whining over the NBC plan to move Leno to 11:35.

OK, children. The hour log prime time slot failed miserably. We all get that. Though I admit it was more the guests that he had to have on rather than the comedy etc that caused this to fail. Plus prime time numbers have to be better than late night numbers.

But nevermind that. What could Leno do in 30 minutes? Probably not much. That's why this venture would fail too. If Coco would have sat tight for another 7 months, his Tonight Show would have moved right back to 11:35 and that probably would have been it. Coco should have been happy. He followed Leno for 17 years, another few months wouldn't have hurt him.

Instead, he stomps his foot and whines, and gets to break his contract, which will allow him to likely have his own 11:30 show on Fox by the fall, and he takes with him between 30-40 million dollars oh and reports say, the network is paying out big to the band and crew too.

Forgive me Coco, I don't feel sorry for you at all.

Jimmy Kimmel tells Jay to leave Coco and his shows alone because they have families to raise. I fucking hope both could raise a couple of kids on 30 + million dollars.

Truth be told, they all disgust me. Coco for being a whiner. Kimmel for being a fucktard. Lettermen for being a non-funny sleazebag, and Jay...well I like Jay, but Jay for not standing up for himself. However, just a little note to all you Cocoheads, Leno has a contract with NBC too, and it probably would have cost them more to break that than Coco's.

So the big asshole in all of this isn't Leno, its NBC. A station that has nothing to offer in Primetime at all. Which is why my late night show of choice is The Colbert Report.

0 comments: