Friday, January 22, 2010

Top 5 On Friday



Top 5 albums from the last decade that shaped your life


You guys know the drill. Play along in the comments or in your journal. This meme is created for my site Music Memoirs. Feel free to go there and check out my other weekly memes and play along.


1. Elvis Costello - When I Was Cruel

This was the first album of EC's that I bought since Spike in 1989. I really got into his music with this one. It's also one of his most solid recordings in the last 10 years.

Sure Costello puts out quality work with almost every album, but this particular record is close to perfect and so are some of the bonus tracks that come with the European and Japanese editions. I consider this album to be a must have for any music lover.

I also know that if I he had done North at the time I was starting to get back into his music, I never would have been quite the fan that I am now.

2. The Moody Blues - December: How can a Christmas album shape my life?

Well, it really wasn't until I owned this album that I gave Christmas music a chance again.

Several years of working retail spoiled holiday music for me. When this album came out, I found I still had love for it, and now I look forward to all the holiday releases each year.

3. Mika - The Boy Who Knew Too Much

Last year's sophomore offering by Mika really changed the way I felt about pop music. Finally after so many years of shite, there was a good album, by someone in this genre.

It's dance-y, it's fun, and it doesn't sound like everyone out there. Oh and its not overly obnoxious, a huge plus when it comes to pop music these days.

4. Tommy James - Hold The Fire: I discovered this album when I had a huge crush on that damn DJ from The Pickle. The love for this album is probably the only good thing that came out of those 6 months when I was making an ass out of myself. Its good music. If you like the stuff Tommy did in the 60s, you'll like this, plus he did a smashing re-recording of his hit, Sweet Cherry Wine.

5. Gordon Lightfoot - Harmony: Words cannot express the love I developed for Gordon after I heard the song Inspiration Lady from this album. That song along with all the others are fantastic.

I don't think I wouldn't have allowed myself to open up to country music if it wasn't for Gordon, who's folk borders on country more than a little bit.

0 comments: