Friday, September 25, 2009

Top 5 On Friday: Week 241

Top 5 under-appreciated artists/bands and why you think they are under-appreciated

This is a hard one, because I love a lot of music that most people haven't heard of, being lucky enough to do album reviews for some awesome PR companies.

1. Over The Rhine: Here's a wonderful band out of Cincinnati that create beautiful vocals and lush melodies. I can't believe more people haven't heard of them. If only people paid more attention to folksy type music these days.

2. Keri Noble: I've never figured out why this lovely lady isn't known the world over. She's a great songwriter, she's pretty AND SHE CAN SING. I guess its because she doesn't dance around in her underwear, because god forbid a woman make it in the music industry without sexing herself up to sell records.

3. Erasure: I truly believe their music gets passed up because of Andy Bell's campy-ness. Well excuse me! For the love of all that is wonderful, listen to some of their synthpop goodness. Listen to Andy Bell's voice for crying out loud. This man can sing. These guys should be huge everywhere...except that if they were, Vince would probably exit stage right...or left depending on which exit were closer.

4. Judd Starr: I talk this guy up whenever I can. I know he doesn't really care if he is a household name, but seriously people. Go check out his music, especially if you like Duran Duran, because his style is similar but with a little something that DD have been lacking for the last few years. (I think its called good songwriting)

5. The Devlins: Peter and Colin Devlin have been favorites of mine since I heard them many many years ago. They don't have much material, considerig how long they've been together, just 4 albums and Colin has a solo album that's worth hearing. Again they don't fit the mold of the usual acoustic band. Plus their songwriting is fantastic.

Click the links to give each artist a listen. I tried to leave off artists like Elvis Costello, because even though he doesn't get the sales numbers, which is sad, most people recognize his greatness as a songwriter. I also left off The Moody Blues, because that's like beating a dead horse. In 40+ years the world still hasn't totally acknowledged the talent within that band. I give up. All are worthy of a listen and your love.

0 comments: