Monday, September 07, 2009

Missing Mondays

There are a lot of things I miss about TV.

There was a time when a vast majority of the shows I watched were BBC comedies. Its funny that it's the case when I'm American and up til about 5 years ago I didn't get BBC America. But in the 90s we were blessed with 2 PBS stations and one played all sorts of BBC comedies and dramas; All Creatures Great And Small (Doctor 5), Classic Who, which wasn't classic then, 2 Point 4 Children, The Brittas Empire, Red Dwarf, Are You Being Served...and gasp...even for a time EASTENDERS!!!! God I loved Eastenders.

Now there are no comedies on BBC America anymore. Its almost all reality based stuff and dramas. Not that I mind the dramas or talk shows, like Graham Norton..but take Any Dream Will Do, and Maria with John Barrowman and toss them out the door. If I want my Barrowman fix, I'll watch Torchwood, series 1 and 2 not the mini-sucky-series.

Why is everything Top Gear, What Not To Eat, Kitchen Nightmares and whatnot? Where are the real shows? Even PBS can't afford anything different. Its all Are You Being Served and the same old series that they've played over and over every Saturday for the last 20 years!

I need new giggles, surely there's been something funny on the Beeb since Coupling, which was the last show that they really played often on BBC America. They have shown My Family and Gavin and Stacey but as soon as their series finished, off it went. No reruns for these shows. Only Doctor Who gets that.

Why is it so hard to find a good comedy? And on US TV? The only comedies I like are Big Bang Theory and Better Off Ted. You can toss Chuck into that mix, but that's kinda a dramady.

~sigh~

Why are laughs so hard to come by on the small screen?

0 comments: