Saturday, April 16, 2005

Saved By The Music

I've pondered many times about how people can't be more open to more forms of music.

Now before you say, "But she only listens to the Moody Blues." Let me direct you to my guzzlefish page, which lists as many of the CDs in my collection that that site has.

Oh and that's not even half of them, because I have so many imports and out of print albums that guzzlefish doesn't list.

Sure I can't say I adore much of the music that's out there now, but there's good stuff out there if you look hard enough.

I'll admit to being baffled by the people that get absorbed in the musical stylings of all the pop tarts and boy bands out there, as well as the whole Divas scene.

I've always leaned more towards songwriting, rather than the latest trend. I do however love good pop music.

My musical taste is full of contradictions. Nothing makes sense, and what's worse, when I like one band, I usually end up picking up at least one other artist because of them.

Example:

Elvis Costello --- Nick Lowe*cough*Diana Krall*cough*

The Moody Blues --- Annie Haslam and Bernie Barlow

The funny thing about my ecclectic taste is that I very rarely stop liking a band. Everything ususally comes full circle. Which is what happened with Elvis Costello and The Moody Blues.

I loved both of them for a very brief time in the 80's, Mr. Costello more so. I think I wore out my first copy of Spike. (I loved and still love the song Satellite from that CD) But something wasn't quite right then, and the short obsession faded.

Odd things brought both of them back into my life

Now to share some of my musical loves with you.

Duran Duran - Nice

Justin Hayward - Skimming Stones

Susan Werner - St Mary's Of Regret

3 very different styles of music there. I hope some of you discovered something new from that. (Leave a comment if ya took something and enjoyed it, M'kay?)

0 comments: