Thursday, June 05, 2003

"Whatever you say, say it with love."

This is the best music survey I've ever seen. I'm stealing it from Steph who stole it from Rach...who probably stole it from someone else and so on down the line....

What song reminds you of your father? Of your mother?
My father...The Theme from the Andy Griffith show. He's always whistling and he happens to look like Sherrif Andy..and well his name is Andy..but we won't go any further. For my mom it would have to be Send In the Clowns. With my mum it would have to be a song from a musical or opera. That's very much her thing. Though when I told her about this survey she said it should be "Memory" from Cats. Hmm.

What song reminds you of your sibling(s)?
My brother would be Jimmy Buffett's Fruitcakes, for the simple reason that he is a Parrothead, and is fast turning me into one as well. Buffett is good fun music.

My sister...Needle and the Damage Done by Neil Young..he used to be one of her favorites until the insanity of middle age hit.

What song reminds you of elementary school?
Culture Club's 'Karma Chameleon'. I remember loving to skate to that at the roller rinks. I had such a huge crush on Boy George. GAH! I know there's something wrong with me!

What song reminds you of junior high?
That's a toughie. In junior high it would have to be Roxette's 'the Look' or Cheap Trick's 'The Flame'. Those were the 2 groups I loved in the late 80's. I had a thing for Per Gessle and Robin Zander. Both are still yummy btw.


What song reminds you of high school?
There are a few here: 'The Music of the Night' from Phantom of the Opera, 'Skin' - Oingo Boingo, Adam Ant - 'Room at the Top' to name a few


What song reminds you of college? (or the years just after high school?)
Oddly Duran Duran's 'Ordinary World' was a song that was popular around my college years. That's actually when I started to appreciate that band. I think Duran Duran are a very underrated band. Simon is a good singer and he writes some pretty lyrics. So YAH Simon!

What song reminds you of the happiest time of your life?
I think I mentioned this in another quiz, but it would be the Medley of 'Deep Dark Truthful Mirror/You Really Got a Hold on Me' that Elvis Costello did during the Cruel tour.

What song reminds you of the hardest time of your life?
I don't think I could pinpoint that one. I've had alot of trying times in the past few years. So there are several that have helped me get through things that were rough. Alot of Elvis Costello and alot of Oingo Boingo really.


What song makes you laugh every time you hear it?
'I'm On My Way' - The Proclaimers and 'Birdhouse In Your Soul' - They Might Be Giants


What song makes you cry every time you hear it?
A few songs have made me cry: Bette Midler - 'Wind Beneath My Wings', the Beatles - 'In My Life', George Harrison - 'All Those Years Ago' and 'Stuck Inside A Cloud', from the musical Les Miserables - 'A Little Fall of Rain'.


Imagine a time capsule, to be opened in two hundred years. You have to put five albums into the capsule � not necessarily your favorites, but the ones that will say the most about your life thus far. What five do you choose?
Oingo Boingo - Dark At the End of the Tunnel
Elvis Costello - Spike
Duran Duran - The Wedding Album
The Moody Blues - The Other Side of Life
Erasure - I Say I Say I Say

Go to This Day In Music, plug in your 16th birthday, and find out what song was #1 on the US chart that week. (Or, the UK chart, if you're in Europe) If you recognize the song, what memories does it evoke?
The song that was Number 1 on July 2nd 1990, was the New Kids on the Block: Step By Step. I recognize it and it makes me want to puke even today some 13 years later. I can't believe people liked this crap. In Britain the number one was Sacrifice/Healing Hands. Now there are two gorgeous songs by Elton John. Proving yet again that the British make better music. (most of the time)


Do the same for your 21st birthday, if you've passed it.
Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman by Bryan Adams. Why did someone like Bryan Adams who made some great rock n' roll in the 80's have to go all sappy and film soundtrack on us. No Bryan I haven't really loved a woman!


What CD are you currently listening to, or did you last listen to? Is it from a genre you listened to as a teenager? (If you're still a teenager, would you have listened to it three, four years ago?)
The last cd in my player was the Moody Blues Greatest Hits. I bought it in 89 when I was a teenager, so my guess is I would have listened to it then too. 3 or 4 years ago I probably wouldn't have, I was into more dance music, which the Moody Blues are not. For me music always comes full circle. If I like something, I may forget about it for awhile, but it will always come back to me.

What CD in your collection would your teenage/younger self laugh at? (Boy bands and sparkly girls don't count � most of my friends list could say that!)
The Pet Shop Boys - Actually, I hated them in the 80s. I really adore them now. I'd probably add Duran Duran too, because when they were popular in the 80s they were at the bottom of my list. Oh how things change.


What CD/artist did you love when you were younger that you now cringe at?
Poison...though I've still been known to go to a concert if they are around. Several 80's hairbands..Though not Def Leppard..I still love the Leps I care not what anyone else thinks!

If you could buy everyone on your friends list one CD, what would it be and why?
Ow that question hurts my brain. I'd have to say Elvis Costello's Brutal Youth, which will always remain close to the top of my favorite albums of his. There are so many others that I'd like to share with the world though. The list could go on forever.

Bonus question: what band most deserves a tribute album? What current artists should cover their songs?
Most of the bands/artists I like have tribute CDs...and tribute CDs annoy the hell out of me. Nick Lowe has one..Elvis Costello...Duran..Erasure, Siouxsie and the Banshees...The Moody Blues don't as far as I know, but I'd hate to hear their music done by anyone other than them. So they deserve one..but noone is good enough to cover them!

0 comments: