Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Taxing Dilemma

Sadly my tax return looks nothing like Mitt Romney's.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do my taxes. I'd like to get them done ASAP, but filing scares the crap out of me, especially as I have that stupid freelance job, that has listed as either a sole proprietor or consultant..you know for that whopping $492.00 I made doing CD reviews last year.

~ sigh ~

If I do my taxes at H&R Block the cost is close to what my additional revenue is. If I do it at home, it is about 1/3 of that.

The problem is...I'm scared to death to do my taxes at home.

What if I screw up.

What if the IRS comes knocking at my door.

ARGH!!

I hate tax time!!!

1 comments:

Bilbo said...

Even though my tax return every year is pretty straightforward and I could probably do it myself, I'm so terrified of running afoul of the IRS that for years I've paid a nice lady at H&R Block to do them for me. Since the interest and penalties the IRS can charge in case of the smallest error is so huge, I've always felt it was worth my peace of mind to have someone whose math and knowledge of tax law is better than my own do my taxes for me. I think it's reprehensible that we have a tax code that Real People can't understand, but I guess if we didn't have it, then we'd have all those tax lawyers and other such types out of work and living on welfare. You can't win.