Thursday, March 09, 2006

Thursday Thirteen




Thirteen of my favorite female vocalists.

1. Jennifer Noble of Grey Eye Glances: A Little Voodoo is their most recent CD. it's absolutely gorgeous.



2. Annie Haslam: I love her solo work. Blessing In Disguise is her second effort and one of my favorite songs is on it, After The Oceans Have Gone.



3. Diana Krall, aka Mrs Elvis Costello: Everyone should own The Girl In The Other Room. I shouldn't have to explain any further, it's too good to be missed.



4. Debborah Harry of Blondie: All of Blondie's CDs rock.



5. Basia: Another jazzy lady. London Warsaw New York is my favorite CD of hers. She has an unforgettable voice.



6. Lisa Stansfield: Here's a woman with a big voice.



7. Enya: At first I didn't like her. I think it had a lot to do with the way Orinoco Flow was overplayed. Shepard Moons came next and I like that one best of all.



8. Maire (Moya) Brennan: Enya's sister, who also lends her voice to the fabulous band Clannad is another brilliant singer in the realm of Celtic/New Age music.



9. Olivia Newton-John: Always a guilty pleasure of mine. I really love her voice and her music has been a part of my life since I was a little girl.



10. Loreena McKennitt: Another Celtic lady that enjoyed some major success on Mtv. My favorite album of hers is a Christmas/winter CD, To Drive The Cold Winter Away.



11. Mary Fahl - Yet another Celtic voice. Mary fronted October Project for a time. She has a deeper voice than the ladies I've mentioned previously. The self-titled CD is definitely worth having.



12. Alison Moyet aka Alf: Words can't express how wonderful this woman's voice is. She fronted Yazoo/Yaz in the 80's briefly with Vince Clarke of Depeche Mode and later Erasure and then had a fabulous string of solo albums. Essex is my favorite.



13. Caroline Lavelle: This woman has worked with Loreena McKennitt and William Orbit. Pretty impressive things to put on a resume in my book. I discovered her at Borders quite by accident. Spirit was a featured CD. Needless to say, I bought it and loved it.

0 comments: