Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mmm Tasty

I found a recipe for Porcupine Balls at Mennonite Girls Can Cook and today I decided I was going to make them.

OMG! They were so tasty!!

Here's the recipe

2 cans tomato soup or 1 pint tomato juice
1 lb lean ground beef
1 minced onion
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 egg
2 slices of bread soaked in milk
salt and pepper to taste I used a few shakes of Nature's seasoning to the sauce


Bring soup or juice in large pot over medium heat to a light boil (You may need to add some beef or chicken broth later if it gets to thick so keep one can handy)

Mix ground beef, rice, egg, minced onion and bread.

Form meatballs the size of a quarter (these WILL expand with the rice and bread/oatmeal. Drop in one at a time into the lightly boiling tomato base. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes or until the beef is cooked through. You may need to add some moisture if the rice in the meatballs absorb too much of the juice. I usually add a bit of chicken broth if necessary.


This is definitely a must try recipe! Check out Mennonite Girls Can Cook for more awesome recipes! I can't wait to get their cookbook!

2 comments:

Bilbo said...

Somehow, I just can't get excited about eating "balls." Do you think you could change the name or something?

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Porcupine "meatballs" then?