Sunday, January 12, 2003

Whose Interview is it Anyway

Picture this if you will�a forum of 14 Greg Proops fans sitting at their computers�composing questions for their favorite comedian. Can you see it? Well back in November 13 of the ocelots from my yahoo group and myself, came up with some questions for Greg, and like the sweetie pie that he is he answered them for us.

The questions we gathered were put together so we all know just a little bit more about our shy, elusive Proopdog. Perhaps we can learn a bit more about him by reading what he�s said.

Greg, in the last round of questions you answered you mentioned liking old school Elvis Costello. Have you had the chance to listen to the new album When I Was Cruel?

GP: Yes, I dig it.

More music questions for you Greg. Do you have a favorite song or album?

GP: Loads of favorites. Miles Davis, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, The Clash.

Do you recall the first album you ever bought?

GP: The first record I remember buying was the Jackson 5 Greatest Hits in 1971.

What kind of music do you listen to in relation to your various moods?

GP: Ambient or Arabic mix when I�m rolling. Rock n� Roll for the groovy times. Classical to calm down. Jazz to get my swerve on. Funk to prevail.

(Authors note�I want to be around when he gets his swerve on�. And will bring some cool jazz along for the ride)

Is there any quote that you remember anyone telling you or hearing in a song that has stuck with you and has made you the wonderful person that you are?

GP: Zillions. �Let them know� The Clash

At one time I recall you mentioning that you listened to the Monkees growing up. Were you a particular fan of the show or the band?

GP: Of course, I begged my parents to let me watch the first episode in 1966

I think everyone is curious about what music you listen to. Here are a few bands that we�re wondering if you have an opinion on. Good of crap are acceptable answers, or any other choice words you might have: U2, Moby, The Beatles, The Cure, Erasure, David Bowie, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Oingo Boingo, David Gray, Matchbox Twenty, XTC?

GP: U2 never been a fan. Moby intelligent guy, very modern, meaning utterly commercial. Beatles rule. The Cure always-good fun. Erasure can�t go there. Bowie love it. Siouxsie-fantastic. Oingo Boingo a little to artsy-scharmtsy for me. David Gray, tried couldn�t do it. Matchbox twenty not for me. XTC awesome. I would add the Cramps, The Tubes, Lou Reed, Dylan, the Stones, Ray Davies, Pistols, Iggy and a million others..

(Authors note�damn Lou reed�damn him to hell)

You�ve been in the UK quite a bit this year. What is your favorite way to wind down in London after a hard days work?

GP: Drinking with the comedy store players

Are you planning on going back to Britain and if so when? Also what do you think of the Brits in general?

GP: Soon. I love them and I want to beat them to death with a rake. They have a snide, cynical view of the world that I relate to.

If you had the choice, would you still be living in England?

GP: I do have a choice.

Is there any one performance that stands out in your mind and if yes, why?

GP: I did an AIDS benefit in Dublin in 1995 or 6 it was intimate and on fire.

What kinds of projects would you like to work on next year aside from your tours, and what type of venue do you prefer do perform stand-up in?

GP: I like clubs and small theaters. I�m always working on comedy documentaries and talk shows. My fave fest is Edinburgh for the crack as the Irish say.

When you were growing up who were your inspirations on television and in movies that made you choose a career in entertaining and what were some of your favorite shows and movies?

GP: Jackie Gleason, Monty Python, Johnny Carson, Lily Tomlin, Laugh In, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Sgt Bilko, Make Me Laugh

Were you funny as a kid as you are now?

GP: I was a spaz as a kid

(Author�s note�I think this should have been an audio interview.. Because I want to hear him say spaz)

What is your favorite childhood baseball memory, and do you think that Dusty Baker can save the Cubs from themselves?

GP: Seeing the Giants and Willie Meys on the field for the first time when I was seven. I can�t talk about Dusty, I�m too upset.

Many casual observers watch Whose Line and say that it is to good to be improvised, does that offend you? Also is Jennifer a big fan of Whose Line and if so what is her favorite game?

GP: No it�s flattering. I don�t know I�ll ask her.

Did you enjoy working on Memory Skills and Potted Histories and how did you get involved in those series? Also what was up with those navy swim trunks in the bathtub by the way?

GP: Of course I loved doing them. The producers asked me so I said yes. I wore the trunks so as not to block the cameras with any enormous objects.

(Authors note: you wonder why I want this man fuzzy cuffed to my bed�phffft)

Do you personally find yourself to be a funny person, or do you do just do what you find pleases the audience?

GP: I�m not sure I understand the question. Yes I think I�m funny. No I never do something just cause it pleases the audience, unless I think it will kill.

What were other options for you if you had not decided on a career in comedy?

GP: Petty crime

(Smart-ass�says the author)

Is there something on your �List to do� in life that you would still like to accomplish?

GP: See the pyramids

Where are some of the places we can expect to see you performing in the New Year?

GP: Probably New York, San Francisco Valentine�s Day weekend, Canada I�m working on�

What do you most fear?

GP: Being afraid. W�s world view

If you were granted the 3 proverbial wishes what would you wish for?

GP: Don�t need them. Oh, all right. A private jet and a crib in France

Has anything ever grabbed your attention and made you absolutely speechless when you looked at it?

GP: The Grand Canyon, the skyline of Fez and Paris

Where was the strangest place that you got stoned?

GP: The Marquis De Sade�s castle in Provence

(Author�s note: and you say the fuzzy cuffs would offend him! Phfft)

How do you develop you stand-up routines and how much input does Jennifer have in them?

GP: Hard work, trial and error and a lot.

How do you like your Cosmos? Can I buy you a cappuccino if I ever meet you?

GP: Hot, Black and infinite. Are you hitting on me?

(Author�s note�Greg is a perceptive boy�only imagine if he read the posts)

What�s your guilty pleasure?

GP: The movie Point Break

What makes you cry?
GP: Rigged elections.

(Author�s note�it makes us all cry�and fear for our lives actually)

Everyone seems to have a recommendation on a book these days, what would you recommend? Also have you seen or read any of Michael Moore�s work, if so what�s your opinion of it?

GP: I dig Michael Moore. I would recommend Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

What are the ups and downs of traveling so much?

GP: You get tired a lot. There really are no downs. I love travel.

What would a prefect day for you entail?

GP: I get a lot of them. I�m lucky

A perfect sunrise or a perfect sunset?

GP: Sunset.

I had to listen to Tom Leher on the sly; my parents didn�t allow me to hear his records as yours did. We need him these dark days. How has Tom inspired you?

GP: With his darkness and keen perception

You said on Talk Proops� erm Talk Soup �I love my clothes but I don�t name them.� Plus you had a very eclectic wardrobe on the British version of Whose Line is it Anyway�any favorites amongst those shirts? And do you still have the infamous skull shirt? (I think there might be a queue of people here that might want to borrow it)

GP: I still have the skull shirt and wear it every once in a while. The cow vest is gone as is the NIN shirt and the purple coat. I also gave away the Versace vest.

(Author�s note: He gave away a Versace!! I�m going after him with a nightstick! )

It is a joy watching you and the great Mike McShane work together. How�s he doing? Now that Axis is done would you like to work on any other projects together?

GP: Mike who?

What was the most embarrassing moment that ever happened to you on stage, and in real life?

GP: Are you kidding? I�m on TV getting older. Isn�t that bad enough?

What do you want more than anything for Christmas?

GP: More Christmas

So there you have the strange snarky answers from Mr. Proops. He never ceases to amaze with his views, and he always has something to say about W. From my reading of the answers and getting them back together with the questions, I�ve found I�ve learned a bit more about Greg.


Greg is a complicated creature. When he finds something that he doesn�t particularly want to answer he�ll be vague or snide. There are a few things I�ve determined about Greg�s character after reading all of his answers..

1. Greg would be a great person to get trashed with.
2. An argument with him would be fun, frustrating and would end with one or both of us dead
3. Greg is probably just as pervy and gutter minded as the rest of the kittens..Bless him.
4. Greg can�t type. If you don�t believe me, you should see the email that I received with the questions.

0 comments: