Sunday, August 31, 2003

My Moodies

Ok, it's been about 2 years since I've really been so much into a band. The Music Whore is living, breathing and existing purely for the music made by this band. I believe the last musician to affect me this way was Elvis Costello. Still every year or two I need something to make me get all hyper about music again. This year thanks to Vh-1 Classic I rediscovered a band I've been trying to like for many years: The Moody Blues.

I was fascinated with the song 'In Your Wildest Dreams' and it's video back in 86 or was it 87, I can't remember. To be perfectly honest, you have this band to thank when it comes to my stories. If it hadn't been for this video, I don't think I'd have ever started writing.

My first fanfiction was written as a direct result to this video. It was an 'Angie' story and it filled a whole 3 subject notebook. The subject of the fanfic wasn't Justin Hayward. No it was someone who is far more important to me; George Harrison.

As you can see, I've always had a fondness for the music of the 60's. But 1987 wasn't the Moody Time for me. I never bought 'The Other Side Of Life' then. I didn't buy Sur La Mer in 1988, even though I was thrilled that they did a sequel song/video to Wildest Dreams. The only album I did buy was the 89 Greatest Hits CD, which sat on my shelf for 13 years before I actually listened to it the whole way through.

This is almost an identical story to my Elvis Story....only when Spike came out in 89 I played it to death, but the music didn't matter to me until 2001.

Now I'll leave you with a picture of my obsession