Monday, June 04, 2007

It Was 40 Years Ago Today Just Doesn't Sound Right

Some of you might be wondering why I haven't commented on Friday's 40th anniversary of Pepper. I think the only answer I can give to that is that there's nothing to say about it. Nothing is done to commemorate it that's worth mentioning. It would have been nice if they could have finished the remastering the CD for this occasion. (I believe they aimed for the same release date when the first CD version came out in 1987)

In 87 there were interviews all over the place. You couldn't go anywhere without a mention of Pepper. Not that Pepper wasn't mentioned anywhere yesterday. The Post Gazette had a lovely feature on it...and the Fishy did a focus on the songs during the Friday Free For All. And the blogging community was quite obnoxious about it, which is why I didn't post about it, really.

It's a shame Pepper isn't one of my favorite Beatles albums. It never has been. It's always been a summer album for me too, when I've felt like listening to it. It conjures up images of sweltering heat and a general feeling of uncomfortableness. I guess that's part of the reason I don't play it much.

Perhaps if I had been alive in 67 when it was released I could feel differently about this record. I can't take away that it was groundbreaking in its time and that it was influential in the music scene and still is. However it just leaves me with a ho-hum kinda feeling when I listen. I get very little joy from Pepper. That doesn't mean you shouldn't own it, because everyone should own Pepper or at least listen to it once in their lifetime. For me, I prefer the two albums prior to Pepper, Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Pepper does bring me joy in one way though. It has some great photos.

Oh look...here's one..

0 comments: