Monday, June 11, 2007

Feeling Confessional

Yes, I have a confession to make. I love pop music. The cheesier the pop music the better. I love The Monkees, The Archies, Tony Orlando & Dawn, The Bangles, Savage Garden.

Yes, I can see everyone cringing now.

It's bad. I know, but it could be worse. I could have listed a bunch of boy bands, right? Actually I prefer the pop tarts of the 80's. I like Debbie Gibson..erm I mean Deborah Gibson and Tiffany. (At least they waited until they were fully grown to turn slutty)

Even in the 80's the boybands had an air of innocence. I think that's what I liked the most about the pop music then. There was a certain amount of innocence that's lacking in the music today.

Is there even "real" pop music anymore? Nothing is shiny or happy anymore. Everything is about sex or violence or that acoustic stuff that all sounds the same to me.

~sigh~

Even Madonna used to make pop music....now I'm not exactly sure what it is she makes. Most of the time it scares me. I long for the days when she sang Express Yourself and Material Girl.

It's not always fun to listen to serious music, if there is such a thing. Sometimes the music has to be about the fun. Perhaps that's why I love Paul McCartney so much. Silly creeps into so many of his songs. Off The Ground is still one of my favorite tunes to bounce around the house too. And I think every critic hated that one. Hell one critic in the Pittsburgh area said that Paul's first single from Memory Almost Full should have been given to Barney the dinosaur. I almost sent him a very nasty email telling him where he could stuff his words. (But I held back, be proud of me)

Heck, if you promise not to tell a certain DJ, I get immense pleasure when I hear that Yummy Yummy Yummy song.

So there it is....my shameful secret. (Though I don't think it's much of a secret) Mock me, I deserve it. And while you do it...I think I'll listen to Savage Garden.

0 comments: