Monday, June 27, 2011

Missing Mondays

I haven't done a Missing Monday in a long while, but today mom and I were talking about something and it got me to thinking. I miss G. C. Murphy's.  I loved this store, especially the restaurant. There were Murphy's in Charleroi, Belle Vernon, Uniontown and Greensburg.

They made the best burgers and hot dogs around. Its funny, but the toasted hot dog bun is what got me thinking about this store. There aren't may places that toast up the hot dog bun like Murphy's used to do. Those were some good dogs!

The other thing that I loved at the cafeteria was the club sandwich. Why are there no good club sandwiches anymore?

Our Murphy's in town was big. It was on two floors. I loved going downstairs.

Here's a funny story. When I was a little girl I was in one of the Murphy's with my mom and dad. I can't remember if it was the Charleroi or the Belle Vernon store. It was summer because they had the kiddie pools out. And like the bad little girl I was, I was playing around them. Until the pool fell on my head!

That was the last time I ever played near those pools!

2 comments:

Bilbo said...

We had a G.C. Murphy's in Perrysville, too. And a W.T. Grant store. I loved both of them, although Grant's was the one with the snack bar. There were two sisters (Jeannie and Marie) who worked at the Murphy's store, with whom I was seriously in love from afar...which was better than having a pool fall on my head.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Though I haven't been in one, I would love to have been in a Murphys as well.