Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The First Christmas Without You

Dear Grandma,

Something doesn't seem quite right this year. The house across the street is dark and lonely. There's no sign of a blind going up or down in the morning. There's no cheery smile when I walk in.

The phone doesn't ring at 10 p.m. to let us know that you've made it upstairs to bed. Nor does it ring in the morning.

Thursday afternoons no longer involve taking you to get your hair done. I don't take you to your coin club meetings once a month.

I don't do the laundry on a ringer washer anymore

Going to Save-a-lot to do your shopping is a thing of the past.

So are your hugs and kisses.

I can't hear you say I love you more.

You had more Christmases than most people dream of Grandma, but this first one without you hurts so badly, because you were always such a part of Christmas. For my first 20 some years Christmas Eve was a special occasion at your house. But that meal was always a special part of the holiday and you made it so, even when you stopped putting up a tree.

This is what I'll always remember

family085

family087

I love you grandma and I miss you so much.

Love,

Andrea

0 comments: