Monday, February 11, 2013

On The Pope & The Catholic Church

So Pope Benedict is stepping down.

I can't say I'll miss him, because I won't, but this is something historic.

This is the first time that I pope has abdicated etc since the 1400's, shortly before Henry VIII sat on the throne of England.

That's a long time.

What really pisses me off about this announcement is how much hatred is spewed over the internet.

Yeah.

Nothing like a little talk about religion or politics to bring out the worst in people.

First let me say, I'm Catholic, not the best Catholic, but that's the religion I associate with. I don't agree with everything the church teaches nor do I listen to and take as fact some of the BS handed down by the hierarchy.

That said, it doesn't take away the sense of peace I feel when I'm sitting in my church, until the choir begins to sing and ruins it all.

But back to this.

Yes, there's a lot of scandal in the church.

However, I really hate when people make the ignorant assumption that all priests are pedophiles. That would be like saying all republicans are jackasses...I'm sure there are one or two that aren't. But you get what I'm saying.

There are plenty of priests and nuns that are good people that are bringing peace to people in need. Yes, there's a lot of corruption too, but that's found in all churches. That does make a good case against organized religion, but still don't say the whole basket is spoiled because there's one bad apple. I know I was made a better person because of men like Father Pierre Sodini and Father John Marcucci.

1 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A timely post. I'm also saddened that events of this type brings out the worst on the internet.